Saturday, October 6, 2012

DYI Play Dough

This afternoon my daughter and I sat down to make some homemade play dough.  The store bought stuff I had purchased many moons ago, was all dried up and had to be tossed.  I saw a recipe online for homemade dough and I knew I had everything on hand, what I didn't realize is just how EASY and FAST it is to make this stuff!  It has the same consistency of the real Playdough and makes a ton too!

What You Will Need:




1 Cup Salt
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Water
Food coloring -OR- Kool Aid Packet**
1 TB cooking oil (I used Safflower Oil because I had it on hand)
1 tsp Cream of Tartar

Directions:

Put all ingredients into a medium sized pot.  If you are using Kool Aid dissolve it into the water first.

Turn the stove onto med-high heat and stir the mixture continuously. 


After literally about 2 min it's DONE!



Gather all the contents from the pot into a lump and dump onto the counter.



I let it sit for a couple minutes and then kneeded it all together...it was still pretty warm but not real hot.



Wait a few more minutes until it is cool enough for the kiddies to handle and then viola!



TIME TO PLAY!!!!


Store in airtight container in the refridgerator.




**Other people who have made this says that the play dough stinks a little.  However if you use the Kool Aid instead of the food coloring, the dough takes on the scent of the drink mix and smells pretty good!



No comments:

Post a Comment